Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Mesa, AZ

How to Verify a Professional's License in Mesa?

Hiring a professional in Mesa requires the careful consideration of several factors, one of which is whether the professional is licensed to offer their services within the city. There are over 590,000 professionals around the Mesa area, and the licensing of these professionals is usually handled at the state level by various agencies. For example, the Arizona State Board of Technical Registration licenses engineers, while the Arizona Registrar of Contractors licenses professionals in the construction industry. You can verify the licenses of professionals in Mesa by contacting the relevant licensing agency. For instance, to verify a contractor's license in Mesa, you can contact the Registrar of Contractors' Phoenix Office at (602) 542-1525 or use the agency's online contractor license search. Alternatively, you can contact the Phoenix Office of Arizona's Attorney General Office at (602) 542-5025 for assistance with verifying the licensing status of your intended professional.

While the licensure of professionals occurs at the state level, there are city-level regulations a professional must satisfy before undertaking a job. For example, before performing commercial or residential constructions, a contractor must ensure the procurement of any relevant permit. Generally, the Mesa Department of Development Services (DDS) issues such permits and conducts construction inspections. Therefore, when hiring a professional for construction-related services, you should confirm whether a permit is necessary. For inquiries regarding permits, you can contact the city's DDS at (480) 644-4273.

Arizona Contractor License Search:

Do Mesa Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Mesa is locally supervised and governed by its city council and Mayor. The City Council comprises representatives from the six different districts within the city, and every neighborhood in Mesa is under one of these districts. The city council performs various government roles within city limits, such as creating policies to further the city's development and addressing resident concerns brought to the council's notice. For example, members of the public are allowed to participate in council meetings and may talk about any resident concerns causing inconveniences in their neighborhood.

However, the issuance of construction or home improvement permits is not part of the City Council's duties, as the city's DDS primarily handles the issuance of such permits. Nonetheless, the City Council continues to exercise its supervisory and governmental powers for the benefit of the city. For instance, in May 2021, the Mesa City Council approved the expansion of an office building within the city, despite pleas from residents of neighborhoods to be affected by this expansion for the project to be put on hold. According to Council, doing so would cost more and delay the economic advantages the expansion may bring to the city. Also, in June 2021, the City Council approved a climate plan to promote sustainable growth and reduce the city's carbon output. This plan will affect construction works and businesses within the city, as business activities are expected to be compliant with the climate plan when it comes into effect.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Mesa?

Consumer complaints from Mesa are handled by the Phoenix Office of Arizona's Attorney General (AG) Office. You can submit complaints regarding a professional's or business's dishonest actions with this Office either online, by email, fax, mail, or in-person. If you are not filing your complaint online, you need to obtain a complaint form first, which is available in English and Spanish. After filling the form, you can email it, fax it to (602)-542-4579, or deliver the filled form by mail or in-person to

  • Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Information and Complaints
  • 2005 North Central Avenue
  • Phoenix, AZ 85004

For general assistance on consumer complaints, you can contact the Phoenix Office of Arizona's AG Office at (602) 542-5763. While your complaints will be investigated and addressed, be aware that the AG Office will not act as your personal lawyer and any actions it takes will be in the public's interest. Therefore, if you want a personal representation for your case, you should consider hiring the services of an attorney and initiating separate civil proceedings. If your claims fall under $3,500, you can initiate such civil proceedings at the small claims division of the Maricopa County Justice Courts.