Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Peoria, AZ

How to Verify a Professional's License in Peoria?

Generally, it is essential for residents of Peoria City to verify a professional's license before hiring the professional, as this helps with avoiding unscrupulous individuals. Professionals in Peoria are typically licensed at the state level by specialized boards or agencies. For example, the Arizona State Board of Technical Registration administers the licensing and regulating over 5,000 architects and several other professionals across the state, while the Arizona Registrar of Contractors administers the licensing construction contractors. To confirm a Peoria professional's license, you can contact the local office of the board or agency licensing the professional's occupational category. Alternatively, you can check the relevant board's or agency's website for available online licensee databases. For example, you can confirm a construction contractor's license by contacting the Arizona Registrar of Contractors' Phoenix Office at (602) 542-1525 or by checking the agency's contractor search online database.

In addition to verifying a professional's license, you should also ensure that this professional has adhered to any city-wide occupational requirements. For instance, construction contractors are generally required to procure the applicable building permit issued by the city's Department of Development Services (DDS) before performing any building-related job. For more information on when permits are necessary or exempted, you can contact the city's DDS at (623) 773-7225 to make inquiries.

Arizona Contractor License Search:

Do Peoria Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Peoria comprises various neighborhoods, all of which are partitioned into six districts. Residents can check the city's online district map and utilize its search bar to find their district. Each district elects a representative during city elections, and these representatives constitute the City Council. Together with the City Mayor, the City Council oversees Peoria and performs governmental roles. However, the City Council does not issue construction or home improvement permits.

The Peoria City Council generally develops, approves, and executes plans for the city's development. For example, in April 2021, the City Council approved the redevelopment of a 66-year old shopping center into a car wash. Also, since June 2021, the City Council has continued deliberation on how to effectively spend received funds from the American Rescue Plan for the city's overall benefit. Council members have given several suggestions, which the City Council is considering, such as spending the money on public safety and supporting public health.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Peoria?

Peoria does not have a local agency that addresses consumer complaints. However, you can file these consumer or unfair business complaints directly with the Arizona Attorney General (AG) Office. Such complaints can either be filed online, by email, fax, mail or hand delivery. For email, fax, mail, or hand delivered submissions of consumer complaints, you need to get a consumer complaint form provided by the AG's Office. This form is available online, both in English and Spanish. You can obtain the form in your preferred language, correctly fill in any requested details, and submit the form by email, by faxing it to (602)-542-4579, or by mail or hand delivery to

  • Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Information and Complaints
  • 2005 North Central Avenue
  • Phoenix, AZ 85004

For general assistance on filing a consumer or unfair business complaint, you can contact the AG's Phoenix Office at (602) 542-5763.

Additionally, if your complaint includes any illegal conduct by a professional or business, you can contact the Peoria Police Department at (623) 773-8311 and make inquiries on filing a separate complaint.

Upon filing a consumer complaint, the appropriate agency will perform a thorough investigation. However, you should be aware that such investigations are solely in the public's interest. For personal redress, you can begin civil proceedings against the professional or business at an appropriate court. In many cases, these proceedings are brought before the small claims division of the Maricopa County Justice Court, which presides over civil cases involving $3,500 or less. However, it is recommended that you seek legal counsel from a qualified attorney on the right legal steps to take in these situations.