Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Surprise, AZ

How to Verify a Professional's License in Surprise?

Professionals must obtain state-issued professional licenses from the Arizona Registrar of Contractors (ROC) to enable them practice and offer services in Surprise. The state's Registrar of Contractors has two licensing classifications that cover the residential and commercial work provided by professionals in Surprise. It is your responsibility to confirm that your intended professionals have acquired valid licenses from this state agency. You can use the contractor search tool provided and maintained by ROC to verify if your intended professional's licenses in Surprise are current and valid.

In addition to verifying your professionals have been duly licensed, you also need to ensure you obtain all necessary city-issued permits for your projects before commencing work. The Surprise Community Development Department issues permits for all building-related projects within the city limit. You can use the Guide to the Permitting Process to learn more about the city's permitting process. For further inquiries about the city's permit requirements, you can contact the department at (623) 222-3000 or in person at:

  • City Hall
  • 16000 N Civic Center Plaza
  • Surprise, AZ 85374
Arizona Contractor License Search:

Do Surprise Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, the Surprise Department of Neighborhood Services does not issue permits for building or other construction-related projects in the city. The city's Department of Neighborhood Services provides the community members with a variety of services and community outreach programs like block party trailers, Day of Service, Safety Day, and mediation programs. They also give monetary support through grants that allow the neighborhoods to fund their community improvement projects. For instance, for its fiscal year of 2021-2022, Surprise City Council is setting aside $100,000 grants for the Neighborhood Services Surprise Community Outreach Program (SCOP). The program provides financial assistance to qualified nonprofits that provide direct services to the city's residents.

The Department of Neighborhood Services also collaborates with other city departments and the City Council to improve the life quality of the community members, especially on the issue of affordable housing within the city. For instance, in June 2020, a Neighborhood Services supervisor detailed to the City Council the need for more affordable housing within the city. This led to the City Council approving the submission of an affordable housing plan to the city's Department of Housing and Urban Development. You can contact the city's Department of Neighborhood Services at (623) 222-1550 to get more information on the services that it offers to residents and communities.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Surprise?

The Consumer Protection Office of the Arizona Attorney General's Office handles complaints of unfair and deceptive business practices filed by residents of Surprise. To file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Office, you can complete an online complaint form or contact the office at (602) 542-5763 to request that the complaint form be sent to you.

The Arizona Attorney General Office has the authorization to pursue legal action against businesses or professionals for violating the Arizona Consumer Fraud Act. However, the Attorney General's Office cannot guarantee you restitution or give you legal advice on how to claim restitution. As a private citizen, you reserve the right to take action against businesses or professionals who violate the Consumer Fraud Act within one year from the date your claim arises. For a claim of restitution, you can file a civil action against the subject of your complaint at the Maricopa County Justice Court located at:

  • 14264 W. Tierra Buena Lane
  • Surprise, AZ 85374

It is advisable to get legal advice from a lawyer before commencing an action in court. You can contact the lawyer referral service of the Maricopa County Bar Association, either by completing the online referral form or calling (602) 257-4200, to find active lawyers in Surprise.