Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Tucson, AZ

How to Verify a Professional's License in Tucson?

Professionals in Tucson are generally required to be licensed before offering their services to city residents. However, the licensing procedures and processes are typically handled at the state level and by specialized state agencies. For example, the Arizona State Board of Technical Registration licenses landscape architects and nine other professionals across the state. Similarly, any professional offering construction-related services must obtain a license from the Arizona Registrar of Contractors. Therefore, before hiring a professional, you should confirm that they are licensed in line with state or city requirements to ensure they are legally capable of performing your desired task. To verify a professional's licensing status, you can contact the agency regulating the profession. For example, to confirm the license of a construction contractor, you can contact the Registrar of Contractors' Tucson office at (877) 692-9762 or use the agency's license search portal. Alternatively, you can contact the Tucson Office of Arizona's Attorney General Office at (520) 628-6504 for assistance in authenticating the licensing status of your intended professional.

Besides confirming a professional's licensing status, it is also crucial to confirm if a city-issued permit is needed for the professional to perform your desired task. Permits in Tucson are typically issued by the city's Department of Planning and Development Services (DPDS), and they are usually required for construction-related tasks within the city, including building and sign permits. Failure to obtain any required permit may lead to fines or other penalties. Inquiries regarding city permits and applications for such permits can be directed to the DPDS at (520) 791-5550.

Arizona Contractor License Search:

Do Tucson Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Tucson consists of over 140 neighborhoods that are grouped into six wards or councils. The Councillor of each ward, along with the city manager and city Mayor, make up Tucson's local government. The local government of Tucson assists the city's development by implementing city-specific policies and exercising regulatory functions such as overseeing the city's budget and improvement programs.

Tucson neighborhood councils do not issue construction or home improvement permits. Permits are generally issued by the city's DPDS and other city Departments such as the Department of Environmental and General Service. Despite this, through recommendations from neighborhood councils, Tucson's local government continues to perform regulatory functions to address the pressing problems in the city. For example, in March 2021, the local government developed processes to aid the smooth expansion of the city's zoo while alleviating the concerns of residents living in neighborhoods to be affected by this expansion. In the same month, the local government also continued discussion on steps to address the city's transportation and mobility problems, amongst other things.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Tucson?

The Tucson Office of Arizona's Attorney General (AG) Office handles consumer or business complaints from residents of Tucson. Residents can file a complaint regarding a professional or business with the AG Office online, by email, fax, mail, or in person. To file a complaint by email or fax, you must first obtain a complaint form, fill it, and email it or fax it to (602)-542-4579. For mail or in-person submissions, you must also obtain a complaint form, fill it, and deliver it to

  • Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Information and Complaints
  • 400 West Congress
  • South Building
  • Suite 315
  • Tucson, AZ 85701-1367

Complaint forms can be obtained online in both English and Spanish. It is advised that you include any relevant documentation that can support your case. Such documentation includes receipts, signed contracts, and written bids. You can also contact the Tucson Office of Arizona's AG Office for general assistance at (520) 628-6648. You should note that while the relevant authorities will investigate your complaint, this investigation is done in the public's interest and not in your interest alone. For personal redress, you should initiate civil proceedings against the professional or business. If the claim is below $3,500, you can initiate proceedings at the Small Claims division of the Pima County Justice Court. Although you are entitled to self-representation in these small claims proceedings, it is ideal you seek legal advice from an attorney.