Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Scottsdale, AZ

How to Verify a Professional's License in Scottsdale?

When planning to hire a professional in Scottsdale, ensuring the professional is duly licensed to offer services within the city is crucial, as it can help you avoid being defrauded or receiving poor service. Because there is no central professional licensing authority within Scottsdale, or in the State of Arizona, the over 100,000 professionals that are eligible to work in Scottsdale are licensed by various state licensing agencies. For example, the Arizona State Board of Nursing licenses nurses, while professionals offering construction services are licensed and regulated by the Arizona Registrar of Contractors. Since these licensing agencies maintain comprehensive records of the professionals that they regulate, you can contact the local branch of the relevant agency to verify a professional's license. For instance, to confirm a contractor's license in Scottsdale, you can utilize the Registrar of Contractors' online verification portal or contact the agency's Phoenix branch at (602) 542-1525.

In addition to verifying a professional's license, you should also check for local conditions that must be met when working with the professional. For example, a building permit is required for all construction work across Scottsdale, and this permit is issued by the city's Department of Planning and Development Services (DPDS). Therefore, if you intend to hire a professional for construction services, you must obtain a building permit. Queries regarding permit applications within Scottsdale can be directed to the DPDS at (480) 312-2500.

Arizona Contractor License Search:

Do Scottsdale Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Every neighborhood in Scottsdale belongs to one of the six neighborhood councils within the city. The representatives of each council make up the City Council. Together with the Mayor, the City Council is in charge of governing the city's affairs locally. The Mayor and City Council develop local legislation, appropriate the city's budget, and ensure the city's progress.

The Scottsdale City Council does not issue construction or home improvement permits. Such permits are generally issued by the DPDS. However, the City Council continues to operate for the benefit of the city and may develop legislation or plans to that effect. For instance, from August 2021, the City Council began plans to improve the city's traffic flow, residents' transit options, and pedestrians' safety through its Transportation Action Plan. City residents are also encouraged to chip in and give workable suggestions to aid the plan's success. Also in August 2021, the City Council began Stage 1 of the City's Drought Management Plan to address possible concerns of water shortage in the city in the coming months.

How Do You File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Scottsdale?

The Phoenix Office of the Arizona's Attorney General Office oversees consumer protection matters in Scottsdale. Accordingly, you can submit complaints about a professional's dishonest or unethical actions to this office online. Alternatively, these complaints can be submitted in-person, by mail, email or fax. To submit a consumer complaint in-person or by mail, you have to fill a consumer complaint form and deliver or mail it to

  • Office of the Attorney General, Consumer Information and Complaints
  • 2005 North Central Avenue
  • Phoenix, AZ 85004

This consumer complaint form is available in English or Spanish, and it can also be submitted via email or fax to (602)-542-4579. It is recommended that you attach any documents that can help substantiate your report, such as any written contracts or payment receipts. If the professional in question defrauded you or committed any allegedly illegal acts, you can take a step further by also reporting the case to the Scottsdale Police Department at (480) 312-5000.

Note that filing a consumer complaint with these public agencies does not automatically entitle you to damages or private restitution. As such, if you intend to recover damages from the professional, you can begin a separate civil proceeding at an appropriate court. For claims below $3,500, you can begin these proceedings at the Maricopa County Justice Court's Small Claims Division. It is recommended that you seek legal advice from a qualified attorney before taking any legal action.